Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Recovery Gelato

For those on Maintenance.
There are so many variations on this recipe it is hard to determine my favorite. It depends on my craving at the time or what is in the kitchen. Sometimes it is chocolate/nut and sometimes it is kiwi/orange zest. Just a note here that I am lactose sensitive so avoid milk products most of the time. For me I can have 3 oils for my dinner and I reserve a cup of raw goats milk or lactose free milk taken from my protein at lunch, to use for my de-cafe coffee during the day. Sometimes I have left over milk is how I came up with recipe. Will make it with 2 of my 3 oil allotments  but recipe can be adapted to fit most plans.  For the recipe below-- Lets go for the Chocolate/Nut
Ingredients
1 large Banana, frozen without the peel
1 TBLspoon Ghiradelli Unsweetened Cocoa
1 TBLspoon Nut
2-4 TBLspoon Milk.
1 cup Cinnamon water (see separate recipe)
Directions
Cut  up frozen Banana into medium size chunks. Put in processor along with the rest of the ingredients except the cup Cinnamon Water. Pulse the mixture, adding very small amounts of Cinnamon water until it becomes velvety smooth like Italian Gelato, less than 5 minutes. Be careful not to add too much liquid or the texture will get soupy, it's still good but will not have that lovely gelato texture. Spoon mixture into a fancy cocktail glass and eat immediately or could be kept in freezer for short periods. The longer it sits in the freezer the harder it becomes. Sometimes when I leave it in longer it forms an icy crust which does provide another interesting texture layer.
Abstinent Measuring
1 serving = 1 protein, 1 fruit, 2 teaspoon Oil
Note
Frozen Bananas: I freeze the banana with the peels on most of the time cause it is easier. When ready to use  I put the frozen banana covered in some water and thaw just until the fruit pops out of it's skin. Important not to let fruit become too soft.
Milk: I love to use raw goats milk as the cream content in it is wonderful. Raw cows milk with all of it's lovely cream content would be superb and I would use it if I could.
*contribution from Martha W

1 comment:

oksoprano said...

you are so creative...you should put your recipes on a blog...oh yeah, you did.