Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Martha’s Favorite Breakfast

Ingredients
2 Eggs
1 big delicious, crisp Apple, sliced however you want
4 oz Brown Rice ( I make rice in very large batches and freeze it )
1 teaspoon Oil
1 cup Cinnamon Water, 1/2 at a time (see separate recipe)
Salt and Pepper. 
Optional
Powered Cinnamon it you want that extra bit of cinnamon flavor. 
Directions
Heat Oil in the skillet on med-high to high heat.  Arrange the Apple slices in nice pattern, I like to go in a circle. Sauté the slices until they get nice and brown and start to caramelize on both sides. This takes about 10-15 minutes on my electric stove. If I am in a hurry I go with a higher heat but have to be careful it doesn't burn. Add 1/2 the Cinnamon water and listen to the sizzle and smell that sweetness as the Apples and Cinnamon become one. A wonderful liquid starts to magically appear as the Cinnamon Water evaporates, oh it is soooo beautiful.
Add the Brown Rice and let it help absorb the remaining liquid. Depending on my time or how hungry I am I could let the Rice cook to the texture of a pilaf by adding more Cinnamon Water, letting it reduce and absorb. Make a nest in the Rice. Add a little more Cinnamon Water.  Add the Eggs, cover the pan and steam the Eggs until the tops of the Eggs are not slimy but Yoke is not hard and a little runny. About 3 minutes. I find this the trickiest part of the recipe --getting the Eggs just so the yoke will run into the rice for a lovely creaminess.  Salt and Pepper the Eggs.
There we have Eggs in a Rice nest surrounded by a ring of caramelized Cinnamon dusted Apples (I don't put the powdered cinnamon on the eggs, you can if you want to) caressed by this amazing sauce.
Abstinent Measuring
1 serving = 1 protein, 1 fruit, 1 starch, 1 teaspoon Oil
Note
Apple: The thinner the slice the quicker it cooks and can get mushy quickly which is no so bad. I usually make my slices as uniform as I can get with a sharp knife cause they cook more even that way. I slice them horizontally so the seed "star" shows then slice in half again so I have nice half moons 
Use a good Skillet, preferably a Teflon one. Skillets are an important. The success of many a dish depends on the tools you use. I love the T-Fal 12" Teflon Professional. I have had it for 6 months and use it nearly every day. The teflon coating is holding up well but they all will wear out within time. Some sooner than others.
*contribution from Martha W

No comments: