Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Cauliflower Au Gratin

Some friends have given me this recipe verbally, so I’m just writing it down! I served it at a dinner party I gave not too long ago. One of my guests insisted that it couldn’t be cauliflower because she didn’t like cauliflower, but this sure did taste good. I just love when healthy food surprises and awakens people to new possibilities.
Ingredients
4 lbs Cauliflower, fresh or frozen. Chopped small if fresh
2 cups worth of Chicken Bouillon made with ½ the recommended Water
½ cup Asiago Cheese, grated
2 ½ teaspoon dried Onion Flakes
1 teaspoon White Pepper
Optional
Non-fat Version: Leave out Asiago Cheese
Substitute: ½ cup non-fat Evaporated Milk
1 teaspoon Sea Salt
Directions
In deep pan or large pot steam/low boil Cauliflower and Strong Chicken Stock. Cover and stir frequently. Add water ONLY as needed. If the Cauliflower starts to scorch, add more water and turn down the heat. When Cauliflower is “very done”—subdue with potato masher until it’s a slightly lumpy oatmeal consistency (or smoother.) If there are still large lumps, cook a little longer. When Cauliflower is velvety, turn off heat. Add Asiago Cheese, Onion Flakes and White Pepper and mix well. Pour mixture into slightly greased 9x9 pan. Put in oven @ 357 degrees F for 30-45 minutes. When crispy brown on top, take out and serve.
Abstinent Measuring
1 cup = 1 vegetable
Notes
  1. I like the final result to be a little stiff like a mashed potato would be. So I cook on the stove top until as much liquid is gone as possible, cracking the lid on the pan to let steam escape while keeping the temperature up. But you have to keep a close eye on your pan, because when the liquid on the bottom is gone, it will scorch the cauliflower quickly. I also like to see the baked results shrink to ¾ the original size. This also means that some of the water has cooked out and the consistency-texture is more to my liking.
  2. Salt….. Cheese IS SALTY. So when I use the Asiago Cheese, I don’t add more salt. But when I use the Evaporated Milk, I do add Salt. Also, If Whole-fat or ½-Fat Evaporated Milk is used, they have a different salt level. My experience says… you can add salt at the table if needed, but you can’t take it out. So it’s better to under salt then to add too much when cooking.
Serving Suggestions: Cauliflower Au Gratin is a great substitute for any where you used to have mashed potatoes. And since it’s a non-starch, you can still have your starch too! Try with Sweet Potato. Yum yummy

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I made this dish last night; it was a hit!

My 17 year old daughter asked, "Is this what they make french fries out of?"